Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Do You Speak Greek?

Recently I started to pick up Greek. Not something that I always want to do or plan to do, just out of no where I found a book "Basic Greek 30 Minutes a Day: New Testament Greek Workbook for Laymen".

Like what someone told me, it is really rewarding to learn Greek in order to understand the Bible better. Not only so, it help me to understand medical terms and some other daily terminology better. I hope I can consistently finish it.

Another reason for me to pick up Greek is that I always have difficulties to choose the best English translation for the Bible. Like someone says, the only way to get something done right is to do it yourself. 

One thing amazing is that, finally I realised why I came to Russia and learn Russian language. The first foreign language that I want and would like to learn in Japanese, yet it ends up that I learn Russian instead. I never like to learn Russian, since I am not interested in it, and I don't feel the importance of it either in my future profession or in my spiritual life. 

However now I realised the reason of it. It builds up my foundation to learn other languages like Greek, because these European languages have similar alphabets, and grammar like change of the ending of a word when a word is used for different purpose. 


So let's start: α - ε - ι- ο - υ
 
____________________
 
 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment