Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

樱花?

First of all, I would like to wish everyone Happy Labour Day!


I remember last year spring, the first glance I saw this tree, I thought, "Huh? There is sakura in this place also?". After observed it closely I realised that it isn't. Few days ago I saw this tree again and I still felt that this tree look like sakura (cherry blossom), and this tree only blossoms at this period. Out of curiousity, I ask my seniors about this kind of tree.

Me: What tree is that actually?
A: Oh, I think that is sakura (cherry blossom 樱花).
B: No la, where got sakura in this place, it is apricot tree with its flower (杏花).
C: Apricot tree? I thought that is peach tree (桃树)?
B: No, Russia where got peach, is apricot tree.
D: Ei? I though that is plum tree (李树)?
E: Plum tree? I though that is plum blossom (梅花)?
Me: I thought plum blossom only appear in winter?
B: No, is apricot tree.

At the end, we don't have any conclusion, and B keep insists that it is apricot tree. After that I did some researchs on the net, and this is what I found on Wikipedia (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus):

Prunus is a genus of trees and shrubs, including the plums, cherries, peaches, apricots and almonds. It is traditionally placed within the rose family Rosaceae as a subfamily, the Prunoideae (or Amygdaloideae), but sometimes placed in its own family, the Prunaceae (or Amygdalaceae). There are around 430 species spread throughout the northern temperate regions of the globe.

The flowers are usually white to pink, with five petals and five sepals. They are borne singly, or in umbels of two to six or sometimes more on racemes. The fruit is a drupe (a "prune") with a relatively large hard coated seed (a "stone"). Leaves are simple and usually lanceolate, unlobed and toothed along the margin.

There are also a number of species, hybrids, and cultivars grown as ornamental plants, usually for their profusion of flowers, sometimes for ornamental foliage and shape, occasionally for their bark. These ornamentals include the group that may be collectively called flowering cherries (including sakura, the Japanese flowering cherries).

So after all, sakura, apricot tree, peach tree, plum tree, plum blossom are all belong to this genus called Prunus, and all of them have similar appearence of flowers, that is why everyone has different opinions about that tree. Anyway, no matter what tree is that, for me, it looks beautiful. I remember a friend of mine, who loves tulips very very much, and during this period (around May to June), we can see many tulips along the street. Last year she asked something like this, "为什么这世上有这样美的东西?(Why there is such beautiful thing [tulip] in this world?) ". I think the answer can be found in the Book of Genesis.


Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:11,12)

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. yea...happy labour day
    no need work, but still need to study >.<
    hope i could see it with my own eyes some day =)

    ReplyDelete