Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Epistle to Hamers (11)

Dear Frank and Lora,

How are both of you? I am fine. Before I came to Sarawak, Joshua and Jean invited me to attend a mission conference on 27th-29th November, organised by Oversea Missionary Fellowship (OMF), used to be know as CIM (China Inland Missionary). This year is their 150th anniversary. This organisation was initially leaded by Hudson Taylor. A very inspiring conference, with speakers from different places: Dr Patrick Fun and Dr Jennie Fung from Singapore, Matthew Goldsmith, Dr Chew Wing Chee, Dr Alex Matthew, etc. Good bible exposition, with wonderful forum and testimonies from mission workers. I am glad to know that different people from different fields can play a role in mission. I still remember Frank told me that there is a great mission opportunity to be a medical worker. And I still remember the vision that I have 2 years ago, but I am still feeling the call to hold on and wait until God opens the door for me.

I travelled to Kuching (capital city of Sarawak) on November 30. It is an early flight, 7.05am. Airport is quite far from my house. So have to wake up at 3.30am. After arrived at Kuching International Airport at 8.55am, my uncle in Kuching picked me up and sent me to the Sarawak Public Health Department to register. I met a few "Volgogradians" when we register at the office. They assigned me to Sibu Hospital. So I bought a flight at 5.00pm, and reached Sibu at 5.45pm. At the mean time I am staying at my auntie's place while looking for a place to stay.

Registered with Human Resources Department in Sibu Hospital on December 1. Still waiting for the placement of the department as the director is not around. I met Calvin in the hospital, he is working in the Radiology Department. Cherrie left Sibu few months back and transferred to Sungai Buloh Hospital in West Malaysia few months ago.

Some history on this town of Sibu. Located in the centre along the seashore of Sarawak. My ancestor, Wong Nai Siang, a methodist christian from Fu Zhou, China brought a group of people to Sibu in 1900-1901. Two-third of the group are christians, hence many churches around in the city, predominately methodist churhes. The bible-presbyterian church that I have been attending in Petaling Jaya have a sister church in Sibu as well, but only chinese service.

Today morning I just got a news that a batchmate of mine when study in Volgograd, just passed away in a motor-vehicle accident in Temerloh, Pahang while driving to work with her younger sister, who survived from the accident. She used to be staying in Kim Hostel. The news is sudden to all of us.

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away, may the name of the LORD be praised. (Job 1:21)

Missions is not the ultimate goal of the Church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn’t. Worship is ultimate, not missions, because God is ultimate, not man. When this age is over, and the countless millions of the redeemed fall on their faces before the throne of God, missions will be no more. It is a temporary necessity. But worship abides forever." - John Piper, Let the Nations Be Glad.

Countless lives on this earth still haven't heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. And countless lives are passing away everyday. The conference and the lost of this friend reminds me this quotation from Piper.

Currently reading Morning Rain, a biography on James Fraser, a missionary in Lisu, China. The way he learn chinese language, really put me to shame, as I didn't take effort to learn russian language.

By the way recently while waiting to be transfered to Sarawak I made some drawings, after inspired by few artists.











The artists that inspire me to draw:

Andrew Chai, a missionary in Cambodia
https://www.facebook.com/cartoonsforfaith/?ref=br_rs

They put C.S. Lewis' writings into video-illustration
https://youtube.com/user/CSLewisDoodle

They do an overview on different books and theme in the Bible in video-illustration
https://m.youtube.com/user/jointhebibleproject

That's all I guess for this time. Take care.

In Christ,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment