Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Doctrine of the Wrath of God

SourceDesiring God

God responds to me in wrath because of my sin.
God responds to me in love because of who He is.

God loves me not because I'm so lovable, or because I'm so cute, 
or intelligent, or faithful or anything of that order. 
He loves me because He is love.

But if He is wrathful towards me is not because He is wrath 
but because I am guilty, sinful, and rebellious, and irreverence,
 and blasphemous, and unloving, and 
He responds out of His holiness toward me in wrath.
 
And there are some people, in every generation, 
and sometime almost entire generation, 
who are so offended by the truth, 
that is the truth that guarantees that they will not believe. 
And then what is your option, tell them lies?

Whether people receive it or not, 
you must preach the whole council of God, 
and in this case to preach the whole council of God 
is actually warning people against the wrath to come, 
well also announcing how glorious the gospel of God is, 
how wonderful the love of the Saviour is, 
in that He meets this wrath.

The same God that stands against us in wrath because of our sins, 
stand over against us in love because of who He is.
- D.A. Carson -

 ___________________

He said to them: "You brood of vipers! 
Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"
Matthew 3:7

No comments:

Post a Comment