Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Epistle to "Ruth"

Sorry that I didn't address the problem that you mentioned just now, because just now the place was a bit too chaotic, with many people around (esp with my nephew around). I want to take some time to address this problem in depth. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that someone bring your father to Goldon's church, but that person made some mistakes or troubles and left a negative impression for your father. Correct me if I didn't get it right or if I miss out anything.

(1) The first thing is, attend a church yourselve. Either attend Goldon's church (if your father does not oppose it), or try find another church. Persuade your parents to allow you to attend a church.

If you can't find a church, maybe can try this presbyterian (长老会) church called Calvary Kuching Bible-Presbyterian Church, which is a branch of the church which I am attending now.

Another option is try google (but there are risks and danger). Enter key words such as "kuching, church, baptist, evangelical, reformed". Avoid charismatic, pentecostal, or city harvest church. Bear in mind that not everyone who called themselve "church" is a church, remember Matthew 7:15.

(2) After you find a church to commit in, and when you think the time is suitable, then can start invite your family to church. The best is start with special occasion eg. christmas service, camp, or other activities. Another thing that you can take advantage is start with your younger brother, that's what Zhuo Ling did. I myself don't have this opportunity, since I am the youngest in the family (if you exclude my nephew).

(3) All these things take time, so in the mean time you still need spiritual feeding (Matt. 4:4). Online resources will be helpful. Read or watch sermons from those links that I gave you last time. If you don't know where to start from, can try start with Frank's sermons in this link. You can filter the sermons by choosing the "Series". I recommend "Sermon on the Mount", "The Ten Commandments", or "Assurance".


Sometime things can get very discouraging. I experienced those kind of feeling, when I returned to a place where I used to live as a non-believer. The temptation to go back to the old way of life is great. But fear not, Jesus says, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matt. 28:20) Some encouragements for you:

(1) David said, "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" (Psalm 133:1) It is important to live together with brothers and sisters. It is difficult, and it takes time. Personally I have difficult time to mix with the youth. I find it easier to communicate with the older adults, somehow. Even though it is difficult, but take heart, the promise is that it is "good and pleasant" according to this psalm.

(2) When I am learning Greek (in a very slow pace, because there is no pressure and laziness creeps in), this teacher Bill Mounce taught something which is very useful. In our life things can get very foggy, we do not know what is lying ahead before us, and we can't see the future clearly, because our present circumstance become very foggy. But Bill Mounce said, "The fog is never cleared until you move on." And isn't this is faith all about? "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Heb. 11:1) Even when we can't see clearly what is ahead, we are called to continue to trust in the future grace that God gives us in Jesus Christ. "We live by faith, not by sight." (2 Cor. 5:7) So don't be afraid and move on.

(3) Remember what Paul said to Timothy, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Timothy 4:12-16). Immerse yourselve in the Word of God, your study in the Word of God will not be in vain.

(4) Last but not least, remember that someone is always praying for you, both on this side and the opposite side of the earth. I will remember your request in my prayer. Frank and Lora will also pray for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment